26 June 2009

Staying young...

Let's face it, I'm an older mom. As my girls get older, I realize how much I want to do with them: hiking, biking, climbing, and if I let myself get any further out of shape, I'm going to have a rough time keeping up with them!

I started biking again. It's a good solution for me; I'm a terrible runner. I did 4 miles one day, about half running, half walking, and I was exhausted for days. The bike helps strengthen my knees, a problem area for me, and keeps me fit.

So far in the last two weeks, I've done two rides: one 10 mile and one 12 mile. My goal is twice a week, at least 12 miles. Here is today's ride:



I need to set a lofty goal; at first, I thought I'd choose the mileage to Vegas, since we're going there for a "girls weekend" the first weekend in October. But that's too much of a lofty goal and would mean 70 miles a week! Not quite in my league right now. Grand Junction, though, is 250 miles, well within my reach by the beginning of October.

I'm applying my last two weeks, so I'm at 34 miles to date.


Dawn

1 comments:

Unknown June 26, 2009 at 5:37 PM  

After I had Grace I really wanted to dance, so I hopped on the treadmill and walked to Colorado from Houston. I had a map in front of the treadmill and I marked the route as I walked the miles.

Now my new goal is to get real tights and not knee highs for dance recital this December, plus I want to move more freely, which I think I'll do if I weigh less.

As for knees, I hate running. I do the treadmill and the eliptical stepper at the gym, That stepper burns the calories and it's soft on the joints.

"An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." -- Anatole France
"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built up on the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think." -- Anne Sullivan

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP